Friday, December 5, 2014

DIY glittered Cameo ornaments for your tree....


 
The Diva and I love making our own Christmas ornaments.
 
Not for us, the mass produced snowmen and reindeer and Santas, although they get a fleeting look-in for the sake of the Season.
 
We love glitter, and fur, and feathers, and sequins and lace and olde worlde charms and the like.
 
 
This year we've gone with a cameo theme for our little trees. Yes, we have more than one. If you're going to go miniature, you need more of them!
 
Last year, it was pearls and roses and ivy and owls, and you can see that here.
 
Having worked with cameos for dance costumes earlier in the year, I guess it was inevitable that we'd lean towards silhouetted ladies and lace for Christmas.
 
These ornaments took less than 30 minutes to produce.
 
You'll need:
 
Vintage sheet music printed from the link below.
 
Cameos printed and cut out.
 
Lace trim, sequin trim, jewellery making charms, bows, roses, glitter, braid or whatever takes your fancy as embellishments.
 
Hot glue gun
 
Normal paper glue
 
Then just:
 
First print out your vintage sheet music here.
 
Cut the sheet in half across the middle, and use each half for one ornament.
 
Then find some suitable cameo silhouettes or use the ones we used, below. Print those out and cut carefully around them.

 
Fold each half of your sheet music in half like a book page.
 
Glue the cameo to one side of the page.
 
Embellish as desired using your trims, charms, glitter and lace.
 
Remember to add a loop to the middle of the top edge to hang your ornament. I just used odd offcuts of toning trims and braid.
 
Allow to dry overnight and hang on your tree.
 
This picture below, is our tree topper. This was made by printing out a larger cameo, and pasting it to a paper lace doily. I then applied a generous layer of paper glue, and sprinkled it liberally with white glitter. I pasted a second doily behind this one, leaving a pocket to slide it on to the top of our tree.
 

Newly embellished tree photos coming soon....
 
...Mimi...

16 comments:

  1. Mimi! The decorations are really, really lovely!!! I adore the tree-topper! Can we have a Christmas coffee together? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lovely One! Thankyou! Yes would love a coffee and catchup. Shall email...xxx

      Delete
  2. I love those cameos. You have been busy. That reminds me of when my children were growing up and we would make Christmas decorations. Making those memories is so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Nanna Chel. I agree that creating memories is one of the most important parts of the Festive Season. Thankyou for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mimi, I LOVE your handmade ornaments you both made and will look lovely on the tree. Thanks for the tutorial to make them. Enjoy the holiday season.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Julie! Thankyou. The Diva Child and I spent quite a few special hours together making these and other treasures which I'll share soon. She's nearly 15, so I know these times are precious now. I'm glad you stopped by...xxx

      Delete
  4. G'day Very creative!! Thanks for sharing at our #SayGdayParty Pinned
    Please revisit (if you haven't already); comments and shares always welcomed as well as visiting someone else at the party
    Cheers! Joanne What's On The List?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mickeydownunder. Thanks for your comment. I'm actually a real stickler for rules, and share and comment at linkups religiously. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like many others do. But thanks for the reminder anyway.

      Delete
  5. I love the glitter and cameos Mimi. But even more I love the making of Christmas decorations with your daughter. This makes for treasure memories as well as treasured decorations. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Annabel. Creating memories IS the most important thing, isn't it :)

      Delete
  6. I love cameos and glitter so I love these. And that you spend your time with your daughter doing these things. Wise woman.
    I think I will get my glitter box out and have a play, very inspired. Many thanks!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a GLITTER box. Oh my. I must do one of those. What an awesome idea!

      Delete
  7. Just beautiful Mimi! It is lovely to hear that your daughter enjoys creating such gorgeous items too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Kaye. Yes it's lovely to have another creative heart and soul in the home :)

      Delete
  8. Very cute!! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx